Sunday, October 4, 2009
It's difficult to be so attentive to light when it's a phenomenon I feel we so often take for granted. Think about it; how agitating is it to walk into your bathroom with a flickering fluorescent lamp going on and off, or a recent power outage while you're trying to study (recent happening), or when the pool lights don't turn on in a timely manner and you find yourself nervously swimming in the dark. As a lifeguard, I don't realize how often I look down into the evening lap swim session into an iridescent, seemingly ghostly glow emitted by the circular pool lights in each lane line. It's an unnatural green and turquoise, giving the pool (what seems to me, anyways), an illusion of warmth and...excuse the creepiness, "growth." Why do people choose blue as the plastering color of choice when building the foundation of a pool? Over time, it fades to a greenish hue, and everytime I observe, all I can think about is algae-esque formations and creatures, regardless of the fact that I know very well the chlorine will make this near impossible. Still, I remember seeing pictures of cyanobacteria in biology, and for some reason, the frosty, greenish-blue-yellow illumination brought on by evening pool lights conjure those images. Weird, I know. It's a first blog attempt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment