
While I typically like to keep spiritual concepts distant from any sort of academia, I feel that in conjuring feelings of ethereal esthetics and heavenly warmth, this picture conveys just the appropriate image. Though it lacks in color other than natural sunlight filtered through a stained glass window, the angle and subsequently cast shadows are what really draw my attention. As someone who has been involved in their faith throughout my life, I know it's often difficult to coalesce the technical aspects of a "class" such a lighting design and the emotional spirituality encountered in a religious image, particularly because it carries a kind of personal significance to me. A church is a place of not only sanctity, but a type of home, one that welcomes and accepts without question or criticism. While the picture may seem lonely or dark, it also portrays a kind of hope or sense of light amidst the darkness, which I feel is so emblematic of having faith in a society like ours today. The angle and intensity of the light is stark and direct, showing that, while the light source may be small, it is ever present, and within its source, strong and steadfast.
No comments:
Post a Comment