Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Opry House







This is at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee! My brother is the guitarist on the right and on the big screen. Yup, he's a professional guitar player. It's pretty cool. So about the lighting. . .

It's funny just how much fog was in the Opry at the time. I didn't notice it all until I saw the picture. Obviously, one of the main goals of the lighting designer was to make the beams of light visible, which seems to be pretty popular when it comes to music shows. A lot of these lights are definitely not being used for illumination, especially those few that are pointing straight up to nothing. Maybe I just caught them as they were moving and making a pretty light show? As you can see by the bright spot-lighting on the lead singer, most of the lights actually illuminating the musicians were coming from the front. I like how many uses of light are being shown just in this photograph. Illumination of a performer, colored lights around the screen in the back to help set a mood, and a light show for the audience are all visible here. There are even lights to make the signs look like they are glowing. I also really like the color palate. The designer made good, cohesive choices. Even with all of the different colors, everything was still very clear. Bravo, Opry.

No comments:

Post a Comment