Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Newport Fog and ACHROMATIC LIGHTING...whoa.


The other day I was working on the 8th floor at Hoag Hospital. It was hardly 5pm when I looked outside a patient's window and noticed it was incredibly dark; not only was sunlight primarily absent from the typically sunny setting, but it suddenly occured to me how stagnant, still, and almost "stale" everything looks when fog intervenes and creates a fuzzy, ambiguous, and dim look for everything. It's funny how every building looked like a slight shade of gray, and everything appeared clouded and soft. This was similar to an off-weather occurence of rain last week, where there seemed to be an "inversion" of time when misty and cloudy weather left the morning looking like a cold and stony evening, but sunlight emerged late afternoon and cast a particularly "new-day" ambience. Though I had no means of taking a picture of Saturday afternoon's foggy and, might I add, "achromatic" environment, I retrieved one taken recently at Balboa day during a particularly foggy hour, courtesy of google.

No comments:

Post a Comment